Thursday, January 12, 2012

$100 Wine - Worth It?

I had the pleasure of trying two $105 wines side by side recently. One was the 96 point 2008 Robert Foley Claret, and the other, the 94 point 2007 Jones Family Cabernet.
So. Are these wines worth the money?
Maybe.
Let's kick this around a little. First, the wines were spectacular! Wines of this caliber make the 100 point rating system seem superfluous. The Foley was silky and elegant; the Jones big and powerful. Second, I didn't pay for them, so I enjoyed the treasure without feeling any of the pain. So, now that I've tried the wines, would I still "pay" for one of them for a special occasion?
Yes I would.
Obviously, wine is an important part of my life - has been for a long time. I can always rationalize spending money for great wine. Just watch: "Hey honey, how about we stay home this Saturday and grill some steaks ourselves instead of going out? We'll buy a great bottle of wine with the money that we save".
See how easy that was.
I understand that what is "worth the money" to me is just foolish spending to others, and I respect that.
I realize I have issues.
So which of the wines would I buy?  I'm going with the Jones.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment