Friday, February 10, 2012

My First Wine "Moment"'

Many years ago I cut my teeth on wines like Mateus Rose', Lambrusco and, I admit it, Boone's Farm. But then, as with most wine lovers, I had my "moment".
Judy and I were engaged at the time and celebrating something - probably some anniversary or birthday. We went to a French restaurant in downtown Chicago called La Cheminee (closed for many years now).  I asked the waiter for some wine recommendations, and decided on a half bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape.  I don't remember the vintage or the producer, but I vividly remember the "moment" of my first serious wine experience. We were both in awe of what we were tasting. Not only was the wine unlike anything we've ever had, it elevated our dining experience to an entirely new level. Ever since then, we enjoy and appreciate good red and white wines, especially with a great meal.
We still enjoy Chateauneuf du Pape, too. We have a bottle every Thanksgiving, and it is frequently our choice with lamb dishes.
We haven't had it with breakfast yet.
Hmmm - there's an idea.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment