Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Wine Ruts - They Happen!

I never get tired of drinking good wine. I do, however, tire of drinking certain types of wines from time to time. Maybe this happens to you as well. For example, I ALWAYS drink a California Cabernet with a good steak, especially a well marbled New York strip or rib eye. I needed to get out of my rut, so I decided on a 2009 Bramare Malbec from Paul Hobbs' Argentina operation. This is fantastic wine and it really paired beautifully with the steak. Why haven't I tried this before?  Rut.
I love Syrah. I love all of Syrah's diverse personalities, whether it is produced in France, Australia, California or Washington State. But this winter, for a couple of months, I totally lost my taste for Syrah. For some reason my palate craved something different, and gravitated toward the reds of Piedmont: Barbera, Barbaresco, Barolo and red blends. These wines are about as dissimilar from Syrah as can be, but, they served the purpose of getting me out of my rut. Now, I'm back to Syrah - and love it, but hopefully, I won't overdo it again.
So, if you love wine, but find you occasionally get yourself in a rut with a certain types of wine, whatever you do, DO NOT STOP DRINKING WINE! Mix it up a little, get out of your comfort zone. You will eventually get back to what put you in your rut, and appreciate it all the more.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment