Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What People Most Often Say About Wine!

We pour a lot of wine for our customers here at The Market. We have tons of tastings and we typically give customers a taste of wine before they commit to a glass. So. What is the comment most frequently heard about the wine people try?  I - Don't - Like - It!  Yep. That's it. Not "awesome" or "I love it" or even "that's pretty good".
I DON'T LIKE IT!
I don't like reds, I don't like whites, I don't like Chardonnay, I HATE MERLOT, I don't like sweet wines, I don't like dry wines, and on and on.
That's why when we find a wine that a customer really likes, we're beside ourselves with joy!
Now, I'm not complaining about our customers. I love our customers - I really do. I guess I just never realized that most people have a narrow wine palate, meaning that they have a certain taste profile that they enjoy in their wines and then they pretty much don't care for anything else. And as I think about it, that's perfectly understandable. Those of us in the industry usually have very broad palates. We appreciate and enjoy many different categories of wine.
Now, when it comes to beer, I have a very narrow palate - because I'm a wine guy! I like beer too, but after my 5 or 6 favorites - "I don't like it"!
Another mystery solved.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment