Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sorry I don't have those 10 wines you're looking for.

Another day in the retail wine business....
So this lady comes in the other day, it's about 2:00pm - not much going on at the time.
Then she pulls out a list.  I immediately sense trouble.
"Are you ready to get to work?" she asks. "That's what I live for," I reply.
And then the exchange goes something like this:
She: Do you have wine A?
Me: No. Sorry.  (never heard of it)
She: Do you have wine B?
Me: No. Sorry.  (never heard of it)
She: Do you have wine C?
Me: No. Sorry.  (had it - sold out)
This goes on about 8 more times with the same result. Most of the wines I'd never heard of.
And we continue:
Me: We have lots of great wine in the store. Would you like some recommendations for something we actually have in stock?
She: No response.
She: Do you have anything we can taste? (implies "for free")
Me: No. Sorry. We have complimentary tastings this Friday and Saturday. You should try to make one of those.
She: Do you have anything "on sale"
Me: No. Sorry. We don't run sales very often, but our everyday prices are very competitive.
She leaves the store.
I think to myself: I'm either on Candid Camera or I have just entered the Twilight Zone.

Tom





No comments:

Post a Comment