Friday, August 31, 2012

Wine Critics - What Are They Saying?

Zesty, racy, sensual, sexy, voluptuous,  extravagant, exotic, sky-scraper like. These are some adjectives critics use to describe wines they are tasting and writing about.
Then you have the the descriptors for the nose and palate. Along with the fruit, you also find crushed rock, forest floor, graphite, damp earth, pencil shavings, mint, wet steel, raw meat, bacon fat, and on and on.
I get it. These guys are trying to make the wines they review sound exciting. It's much better than reading: "this wine red - me like".  I'm sure there's some competitiveness going on between the critics too. Who is the best, most flamboyant and most followed writer. I have my favorites in terms of style, but I can't say there is one critic I agree with 100% of the time. That would probably be weird.
Some times I just have to shake my head and laugh.
Tonight though, I'm having myself a glass of some "sexy" red wine.

Happy Labor Day!

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment