Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lunch With A Napa Winemaker!

Had a great lunch today at Cafe' Napoli with winemaker Michael Keenan. Michael is president of Napa Valley's Robert Keenan winery. He took over from dad, Robert, in 1998, and continues the tradition of making great Cabernet, Merlot and Chardonnay.
We've been a big supporter of the Keenan Cabernet since we opened The Market, but I was surprised by the quality of the other wines we tasted. I don't know why. I just assumed Keenan was more a Cabernet house than anything else.
The Chardonnay, Merlot, and, of all things, Cabernet Franc, were outstanding.
And what is Michael Keenan's favorite varietal? Hands down - Merlot! He says he drinks Merlot more than any other wine - probably 5 out of the 7 days in a week.
Incidentally,The Cafe Napoli in Clayton was excellent. I hadn't been in a while, and I almost forgot how good this place can be. House salad and chicken Marsala for lunch was a real treat!

Tom 



No comments:

Post a Comment