Friday, October 5, 2012

"Weird" Wine Words

So, I pop open a bottle of Cabernet for a customer to try and say: "that wine is going to be a little closed since I just opened it". My partner looks at me and says: "do you know how totally ridiculous that sounds, except to a bunch of wine geeks"?
It's true. I suppose just like any other industry, the wine world has its words and phrases that can cause some head scratching.
Take, for example, the word "disgorgement".
No, this is not something that occurs in your bathroom after a night of raucous drinking and nasty eating.
Disgorgement is actually a process in making Champagne and other sparkling wines whereby sediment is removed from the bottle to make the wines crystal clear, and well, "sparkling".
If you want more information on "disgorgement" check out the link below.
I'll cover more weird wine stuff in future blogs.

http://www.thekitchn.com/wine-words-disgorgement-177889

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment