Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Wine Pairing "Clunker"!

Stir fry last night.
Judy makes a good stir fry - lot's of Asian spices with a dash of cayenne pepper for a little heat.
I was looking forward to it.
As I was getting ready to leave The Market, I had this overwhelming craving for Champagne, so I bought a bottle of Mumm Napa Brut Rose' (okay, technically not Champagne, but a very good sparkler for only $20).
A few bites and sips into the meal Judy asks: "do you think this wine goes with the meal"?
"No"
Not only does it not go, it downright clashes with the meal. The sweet/spicy sauce in the stir fry made the wine taste sour.
What would have gone better? Probably a wine with less acid, and a little spice of its own like a Viognier or Gewurztraminer. You could even go with a fruity California Pinot Noir.
Sometimes my love of Champagne gets the better of me and I do silly things like this. I really do know better.
Oh well - can't win them all. The wine tasted great all by itself later.

 Tom




No comments:

Post a Comment