Thursday, January 24, 2013

An epidemic of corked wine!

Doesn't it seem that things often come in bunches - both good and bad things?
It's been months since I had a corked wine, but, in the last week I've opened 5 bottles that were corked. 5 CORKED WINES IN A WEEK!
Three of the bottles were at The Market, and 2 were from my collection. One of those 2 was particularly painful.
We were having a nice Filet Mignon dinner this Tuesday, and I thought, what the heck, let's pop something special.
So I grabbed my last bottle of the 96 point 2003 Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon.
I suspected no good as soon as I popped the cork.
But, just to make sure, I poured some into the glass and sniffed.
I felt like I'd been slapped in the face. It was so bad. The smell of wet, moldy newspaper just reeked into my nostrils and throat.
Since the wine was so old, and the store I bought it from was no longer in business, I had no recourse but to spill it down the drain.
I popped a 2005 Don Melchor which was excellent. Dinner was wonderful. The evening was saved,
And we enjoyed the Don with Wednesday's dinner too.
Let's hope for bunches of "good things" for next week.

Tom





No comments:

Post a Comment