Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Great Wine and Sloppy Joes?

My good buddy, Cory, celebrated a birthday this Sunday.
What did he want to do?
How about a sloppy joe cook off?
Cory judged about 7 different recipes, selected his top 3 favorites, passed out awards to the winners and we proceeded to drink and watch football ..... at 2:00 o'clock in the afternoon. Just what I needed.
What do you drink with sloppy joes and football? My first guess would be beer.
Not this group. Check out some of these wines:
2010 Herman Story Tomboy
2009 Proyecto Grenache
2009 Ravenswood Zinfandel Barricia Vineyard
2001 Paul Hobbs Napa Cabernet Sauvignon (Seriously)
We also had an Amarone, Lohre Cabernet, Ridge Zinfandel and a Bordeaux. I forgot the vintages on these.
We had to leave early, before the "serious" drinking started - probably a good thing!
It's  been at least 30 years since I had a sloppy joe, and I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed trying the different recipes.
My favorite wines with the joes were the Grenache and the Zins.
Maybe the great wines elevated the humble sloppy joe to "fine dining" for a day.

Tom






No comments:

Post a Comment