Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tom's Favorite Grape - You Might Be Surprised!

I didn't sleep much last night. I was fretting over what my favorite grape varietal is. Okay, I'm a nut case, I know, but this is a life altering decision for me.
For years I've been a Napa Cabernet guy - no question. But now, this is tough, but, I have to say my favorite varietal is Syrah!
I'm amazed by how many personalities this noble grape can have: the brooding fruit bombs of Australia, the minerally, meaty wines of Northern Rhone and the earth driven, spicy Syrah based wines of Italy are all wonderful.
And domestic Syrah? California and Washington winemakers are producing some of the highest quality, highest rated wines ever - and they are amazing values when compared to Napa Cabernet.
Favorite producers: Guigal, Mollydooker, Big Basin, Jaffurs and Saxum.
There - I said it. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment