Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Champagne Wars!

It was a quiet Christmas holiday. My son Michael and his wife Dani came over with their two mini bulldogs, Brooklyn and Bronx. Bronx is the new baby. Only one accident occurred on the hardwood floor. It could have been much worse.
We all love our bubblies, so, we thought it would be fun to compare some domestic sparklers against Champagne.
Christmas Eve we did Brut. Christmas day was Brut Rose'.
The Bruts: 2007 Argyle vs. NV Aubry Premier Cru
The Rose': Mumm Napa Brut Rose' vs. Domaine Chandon Etoile Rose'.
The domestic wines were tasted first both days. The impressions were similar in both cases.
All the wines were excellent. The domestic wines presented more up front fruit than the French. The Champagnes displayed more "yeastiness" and minerality. Also, the Champagne bubbles were slightly smaller and more elegant and the finish on the Champagnes was longer and more satisfying. But I'm really "splitting" hairs here. Would I notice these differences if I had the wines, say, a week apart vs. "side by side"? Maybe. Maybe not.
Here's another thing: Argyle Brut - $24/Aubry - $45.  Mumm - $20/Chandon - $39.
My daughter Becky and her husband, Paul come in with the two babies for New Year, so the whole family will be together New Year's Day. I'm thinking this tasting scenario will be replayed, maybe with some different selections.
My take: I preferred the Champagnes over the domestic wines in both cases. Everyone didn't feel as strongly as I did about that. But are they worth the extra price? That's always the question.

Happy New Year everyone!

Tom


4 comments:

  1. I thought the Etoile Rose was domestic as well. Which then was your preferred French Rose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for catching that. That's what's known as a dumb mistake on my part. It sure did drink like a French Champagne.
    My favorite "real" Rose' Champagne is the Nicolas Feullatte Brut Rose'. It sells for $49.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that Nicolas Feullate Rose.. will have to restock soon..

      Delete
  3. No problem, I also get confused reading wine labels. I wish there were a rule stating that only French wines can have French words on them. Is there any way to really know what country its from. I only like French things and want to be certain thats what Im getting.

    ReplyDelete