Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Falling Sinks, Wine and a Restaurant

Happy New Year!
I took about 10 or so days off from blogging due to being brain dead from holiday craziness.
I'm still a little brain dead. This may actually be a permanent condition, but I'm going to start blogging again anyway.
On Monday this week at about 10:30 AM, my wife, Judy, texts me one word:  "catastrophe"!
Shortly thereafter, I get this text: "the kitchen sink fell"!
Do I have your attention yet?
I can assure you, she had mine.
We have a high gauge stainless steel undermount sink that's fastened to a granite countertop. Clearly, it wasn't fastened very well, because the epoxy holding the two pieces together weakened to the point where the sink separated from the granite and just fell down.
The house is 9 years old, and I guess stuff happens, but geez - falling sinks?!
So what does one do with a fallen kitchen sink that eliminates use of the garbage disposal, dishwasher and any running water in the kitchen?
Here's what we did. Judy scheduled the granite guys and the plumber guy to fix this mess, and I grabbed a bottle of wine and we went to one of our favorite restaurants: Paul Manno's. The food, as always, was fantastic. But the wine was the star.
2006 Charvin Chateauneuf du Pape got a 94 point rating from Wine Spectator, and it sure was a deserving score this night.
So, our first adventure of the New Year has happened. It's a pain, and it's going to cost us. But we rationalized having a great bottle of wine and going out to dinner. As they say, you can rationalize anything.

Tom



No comments:

Post a Comment